Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Be Inspired ...

"Be Inspired" was the theme chosen for the Timpanogos Half Marathon I ran on July 30th. I was able to do it with my good friend and neighbor and a couple of her friends, and being with them I was truly inspired. We worked hard, had some really early mornings for long runs, and were able to hit some good milestones together. It felt so good to train for something I thought I'd never be able to do and everytime I was able to complete a long run I felt so good and strong.
They day of the race was lovely and running down American Fork Canyon was peaceful and beautiful and I felt so good. Coming downhill was hard on my knees and by mile 10 I had a really hard time running, so I walked for a couple miles and then finished strong the last mile. I couldn't walk for a couple of days I was so sore, but it was definately worth it. I'm so glad that I did it and I may even do it again next year!


Quick story ... on one of my long runs I was going to do it by myself on a Saturday morning at 5:30 and John decided he would come with me. I plugged in my headphones and started running and he followed behind me on his bike carrying gatorade, and whatever else he thought I may need. It took almost 2 hours and he didn't have his ipod and stayed behind me for 10 miles. I know it sounds crazy, but that was one of the nicest things he's ever done for me. Just something I will never forget about this race.

The other thing I will never forget is that my mom called the day before and asked if I wanted her to come and when I said yes she didn't even hesitate but jumped in her car and came. It was so good of her to do because I'm sure she had plenty of other ways to spend her Saturday. So she was a big help while I was so sore and was able to take pictures.



4 comments:

arisa said...

you know, if i could look as good as you do while running i might reconsider it!

Honey said...

So awesome, Mindy! Congratulations!!

TheShumWAYS said...

So proud of you guys!!! Maybe someday I can be like you :)

erika said...

way to go~