When John was young, he admired the ring his Dad got that his mother bought him when he graduated with his Doctorate Degree. His Dad told him that someday when he graduated with his Ph.D that he would buy him one too. He did not go back on his word! John picked out his ring and his parents bought it for him and his Dad threw it to him as he passed him in the Convocation line on Thursday. It was a lot of money, but will be worn proudly and forever!
We had talked about buying John a new grill when he graduated and so last week we went and picked one out and it's gotten good use this last week. We feel like we're really living now that we have a house, a porch, and a grill! We'll love it more when the weather gets nicer and we can use it more.
I wanted to do something for John to commemorate the occasion, more than what our money could buy so I put a little scrapbook together that most of you reading this probably participated in-- and I thank you so much for that!! It is full of memories, stories, and notes of well-wishes from previous professors, classmates, friends, colleagues, and family. It was so much fun to make, I enjoyed reading all the notes that I received to add to it. Some made me laugh, some made me cry, most made me so proud of the person he is and person he has become. I was so excited to finish it and give it to him that I could hardly sleep. I did it on kind of short notice, but if I'd had any more time I would've had to tell him because I was so excited! These are a few pages from the book. I ended up with 10, thanks for all your replies!
John had mentioned that he would really love an hourglass, so my parents bought him a realy nice one from BYU. It has the BYU medallion on top and bottom and is beautiful and will look excellent in his office at work!
Favorite Part Of The Day
1 day ago




2 comments:
When Johnny and I were sitting together during the Convocation ceremonies we talked about him walking across the stage and getting a ring from his mom and dad. (Start saving now. They just keep getting more expensive - but SO worth it.) What a great example you are to all of us. There were some moms graduating with their children. I said to Dad I should have graduated too. Micki has been encouraging me to finish (although I have to start all over again). Dad said, "You have too many grandchildren right now, you'll have to graduate with them." That would be awesome. Love you, love you.
Love the gifts and the ring is priceless!!
Post a Comment