Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Host

I finished reading The Host yesterday and it was AMAZING!! It was a definite page turner-- after I hit about page 250 I finished it the same day.
Here are some of the things I loved about this book:
1) I loved the ending! I don't want to give anything away, but I was so happy with how it all tied up and finished.
2) I loved Wanda's character, or soul, in this story. She was selfless and curteous, and so full of love for those around her. I was very inspired by her willingness to give and work hard to benefit those around her.
3) I am in awe of the different worlds and stories and histories from each world that Wanda lived on. There were names of creatures, transportation, money, shelter, medicine, cities, things that make this fantasy world turn. How did Stephenie Meyer come up with this stuff?? Purely fanstasy, exactly the reason she is compared to J.K. Rowling!
4) The action and suspense is always a plus for me. It was more exciting than Twilight was for me, and I didn't expect that at all.
5) I can't leave out the incredible love story that was a major triangle between many key characters, but it all unfolded and it was so deep and wonderful that it gave me butterflies inside.
6) And last, but not least, it took place in and around Tucson! I knew every place she went to from the Ina exit, to St. Mary's hospital, and every plant and cactus inbetween. We drove past Picacho Peak many, many times and looked over that very vast, desolate desert where this whole story took place.
I have to put this book as one of my favorites books of all time. I don't know how she does it, and I never imagined she could've come up with a story as captivating and wonderful as the Twilight Series, but she has. I may have loved it just as much!! I would love to hear anyone else's take on the book that has read it. Leave me a comment! I am so looking forward to meeting the author, Stephenie Meyer, on Friday. I'm happy to loan out my book to anyone interested in reading it, because YOU SHOULD!!

5 comments:

Jennifer M said...

I wasn't planning on it before, but you just made me want to read The Host NOW!

Honey said...

I've been meaning to ask you about the book. Ryan got it for me for Mother's Day and I'm having a hard time getting into it...I'm only in chapter two (I started it last night) and I'm wondering when I'll start to like it or at least be able to understand more what's going on...any advice? I know I should keep reading, but it's not doing it for me so far...

Eliza said...

I got it the day it came out but haven't started it yet so I hurried down your post without reading just in case you spoiled it. I can only have one addiction at a time and by next wednesday I'll be free from my current one...AI!

Shauni said...

So I stayed up late last night to finish, and I agree with you on all accounts--I LOVED IT! I really loved this story, even though I was a little wary of it at the beginning. But her vampire and alien books are my kind of sci-fi! I think she could write a Hallmark card and I'd probably buy it just because it's her! :) I love how it all worked out in the end, because you really do fall in love with all four of them and want it to work out perfectly for them. I think this book had really good closure--do you think she'll make it into a series, or is this it? Maybe you can find out tomorrow night! Have fun--I'm jealous you get to meet her!

Allison said...

I'm halfway into this one!!! I'm glad you liked it! Have a great weekend!!!!