Now that the kids are getting older and Christmas is getting more exciting for them with their mile long Santa letters, we decided it was time to make it something more than just getting the gifts they ask for. We usually donate to Toys for Tots, or other local charities, but this year the kids are saving their own money in a special jar to use to buy toys for a local family in need. They've been working hard and watching all their pennies and quarters add up, and it's been very fulfilling to watch as each coin they find or earn (sometimes with reminding) ends up in our Christmas jar. For Family Home Evening this past week we put at the center of our kitchen table a basket full of small boxes. Inside each box or written on a tag for each day of December is a way that we can give a gift to someone else without spending any money. For example, yesterday's gift was: make a list of ways you can be more like Jesus; Monday's said: Tell each member of your family, "I love you"; and today's gift is: do a chore for someone in your family without telling them it was you. The kids take turns opening the gift and when Johnny opened the box this morning and read what was on the piece of paper he grinned and I could see the wheels start to turn as he contemplated what he would do for someone today. At night before bed we talk about what we all did that day for our gifts and I'm so pleased that I can really feel the Spirit of the Season in our home as we try to do more giving and think less of what we'll receive (not that it isn't fun to receive too)!
Kewpie
2 days ago






7 comments:
What great ideas you have! Love you guys!
Seriously. Where do you get all these ideas?! They are so neat!
You guys are so awesome! I REALLY do want to be next door neighbors for the rest of our lives. We have got to figure something out. Oh-and YES, that is MY new Kitchen Aid under the tree! My sweet husband braved the Black Friday lines at 4am...what a sweetheart! I will email you with our travel plans. Can't wait to see you! m(I think Ty is between where Johnny and Maggie were when we left...)
Such a super idea! We sure love you guys.
What a cute idea. We're so excited to see you guys. Love you guys.
Cute idea! Love you guys!
i love this idea!! i'll have to try to remember it in a few years.
Post a Comment